Thursday, April 9, 2009

Virginia Apple Walnut Cake

This is proof that I really need to learn to take better pictures of my food. This was beautiful. I promise. Don't let my awful pictures lead you astray. Beautiful.


For our Junior League meeting this week, I agreed to bake a dessert. It seemed like a good excuse to try a recipe from the league cookbook, so after a bit of perusal, I chose this coffee cake recipe. I know it's a pretty fall-ish recipe, but it just sounded yummy to me. I think my taste buds like to defy the season every now and then. That would also explain my recent obsession with sweet potatoes.

Virginia Apple Walnut Cake (from Oh! My Stars)


Ingredients:
4 large (about 2.5 lbs) Granny Smith apples
1/3 c honey
1 tbs ground cinnamon
3 c flour (I used all-purpose)
1 tbs baking powder
2 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1 c vegetable oil (I used canola)
4 eggs
1/3 c orange juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c walnuts halves (I used all chopped)






Directions:
Line a 10-inch tube pan with baking parchment or coat with shortening or nonstick cooking spray (I forgot this step until it was too late - bad idea).
Peel apples and slice 1/4 inch thick.
Toss apples, honey, and cinnamon in a bowl.
Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
Add oil eggs, orange juice and vanilla.
Beat at medium-high for 2 minutes, or until smooth.
Spread 1/3 of batter in the prepared tube pan.
Drain apples and reserve any juice.
Arrange 1/3 of the apple slices in a spoke design over the batter and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
Repeat the process until you've used remaining ingredients.
Pour the reserved juices over the top and arrange the walnut halves around the outer edge (this was too much work for me - I just sprinkled more chopped walnuts on the top).
Place on a baking sheet with a rim.
Bake at 350 degrees on the center oven rack for 1 hour and twenty minutes to one and a half hours, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean (this was closer to 1:30 for me). (Cover loosely with foil if necessary to prevent over-browning).
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
Loosen the cake from the side of the pan with a knife and remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Loosen the cake from the tube and bottom of the pan with a knife and remove to a serving plate with a spatula.

6 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao ! This really look wonderful to me ! And I love apples and cinnamon even on the 15th of August !! Happy Easter !!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Sounds delicious!!

OK, this is weird, but a guy just came out of nowhere and started shouting something about "sliders"--did you accidentally bake him in the walnut cake? He sounds pretty worked up.

Perhaps I have some other window open on my computer!

Anyway, these recipes look wonderful!

Elizabeth said...

Crabby: Eeep! Sorry. That's what I get for cheating on youtube. I tried to embed a video in an earlier post, and it didn't even occur to me that it might just start without asking. That's so rude! Thanks! (I feel like a celebrity has stopped by my blog now. Beause you are seriously that cool.)

Natalia: Thanks!!!

The Food Librarian said...

Wow! I love love apple desserts and I love the way the apples are placed on the cake!!

Angela said...

That looks great - thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious!